By Sybil D’Silva
- Preparation time: 20 min
- Marination time: 1 hr – overnight
- Cook time: 45 min – 1 hr
- Serves: 4
- 4 Approx 6″ x 6″ thinly sliced beef, eye of round (slightly pounded with a mallet)
- 8 bacon slices cut in halves
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 1 medium tomato quartered
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 – 3 Tbsp of “Sybil’s Vindaloo Curry Paste”
- 4 Tbsp oil or butter
- Sugar and salt to taste
- Apply 1 Tbsp “Sybil’s Vindaloo Curry Paste” to both the bacon and beef – keep aside for 2-3 hours preferably overnight.
- Put the bacon on the beef slices – roll up and tie with butchers twine.
- Sauté gently in 2 Tbsp butter or oil – set aside.
- In the same pot sauté onions till golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and sauté till pulpy. Add remaining ‘Sybil’s Vindaloo Curry Paste’. Sauté till aromatic for 2-3 min.
- Add the stock, sugar, beef rolls.
- Bring to a boil & then cook on simmer till meat is tender, approximately for min 45 min – 1 hr.
- Serve with rustic toasted bread to mop up the curry.
Can be served with rice. If so, put 1/4 cup beef stock at Step 5.
The curry should be the consistency of a medium soup (not too watery and not too thick).