By Sybil D’Silva
- Preparation time: 10 – 20 mins
- Cook time: 15 – 20 mins
- Serves: 4 – 6
- 1 lb carrots grated
- 14 oz can tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp butter or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- Rind and juice of an orange
- 1 tsp "Sybil’s Balti Curry Paste"
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional Garnish: Coriander leaves (or fresh Cilantro)
- Melt butter in a pot and sauté the onions till it sweats.
- Add "Sybil’s Balti Curry Paste" and sauté until aromatic – approx 1 min.
- Stir in the carrots and sauté for a minute or two.
- Cover the pan and cook carrots on low for approx 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, sugar, and rind and juice of an orange.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook on simmer for 15 min.
- Put into soup bowls and garnish with mint and coriander leaves.